.

.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Master Bedroom Loft + more chalk painting!

BEFORE! We didn't have to do a thing to the walls (love our knotty pine!) or the floors in this room. 

I love sleeping in the loft… except for ONE thing. Free reign for the kitties! Shadow almost always wakes me up at 5am. Then he gets to sleep all day. Somehow that just doesn't seem very fair :)



Anyway, there is a story behind our homemade loft bed. This house was originally built as a hunting cabin… a.k.a. it was just one huge man-cave where much partying took place and no one ever lived here full time. As a result, there was something missing—a very important thing: CLOSETS! Nope, not one clothes closet in the whole house. What's a girl to do? 

Aside from getting a couple of wardrobes for our hanging things, I had an idea. How about we buy a bunch of dressers and put our mattress on top?! Then we would have oodles of drawers for clothes. Yes! That will work. Work…. egads it was a lot of work. We purchased these unfinished dressers at IKEA. You know what that means, right? Assembly required! Poor Mikey. It took him about 2 weeks to put all of them together…




Then it took me another week to chalk-paint them all. But I think they turned out great! I used a peacock blue and green layering technique and did more of a wash than a paint so that the wood grain would show through…



I've had a lot of fun decorating this room. We're almost done, but not quite… we will be installing skylights above the bed! I cannot wait for that. Stargazing from my pillow. Oh, yeah! :))

We found these stairs at a thrift store… perfect height! And I love sleeping
way up high like this. It feels like the top spot on a bunk bed. I'm a kid again!

We're two peas in our pod  


Love,
Helyn

3 comments:

  1. Hi Helyn: What an amazing job!!!!! It is really gorgeous and your talent is unbelievable. I knew it would be nice, but never expected it to be this spectacular. And give my kudos to Mikey, the engineer and builder. I am so happy you two met! PRAISE THE LORD! Love, nonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helyn: Will you please send bathroom and master l0ft bedroom to LORDVIRGINA@yahoo.com. I just received her email address and was upset that she accidentally subitted her new email name so that our names read like a body part. Love, NONNA

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks Great! Love the loft type bed - I think its a great Idea, I want to do this! ~Ekko

    ReplyDelete